Happy 2015! Wow, I can’t believe how long it has been since my last blog post; seriously, I thought it had been only a couple of months but low and behold its been seven! I last posted about my sorrows and woes regarding Ironman Lake Placid in Heaps of Frustration. Well, a lot has changed since then and I am back on the road to becoming an Ironman, only this time I’m taking my racing abroad, to Canada, that’s abroad right?!
Ironman Mont-Tremblant is on August 16, just two days after my 30th birthday so I decided earlier this year to kick off my
dirty thirties with a lil jaunt in the mountains of Quebec alongside thousands of my closest spandex wearing friends (who are just as crazy, if not crazier than me).
Before I get too far into this Ironman business, I feel the need to recap the end of 2014 some and at least document it before I forget everything that happened (seriously, I have to write everything down).
- Moved back to Jacksonville.
- Competed in the Tour de Pain. 3 races in 24 hours of various lengths.
- Competed in the World of Beer 5k-My birthday present to myself.
- Memphis completed his first Monday night run at World of Beer.
- Competed in the HOT Sprint Triathlon. Good enough for 2nd in my age group.
- Traveled a bunch for work.
- Registered for Ironman Mont-Tremblant.
- Raced in the Evergreen Pumpkin 10 miler that was mostly in a large cemetery.
- Ran around Washington DC on a work trip.
- Used my failed Lake Placid spot to go do Rock ‘n Roll Las Vegas half marathon. Not my best 13.1 miles but a fun one with friends and family nonetheless.
- Did my first Thanksgiving run back in my hometown.
- Took some time off from racing and training. Ate a lot of holiday cookies, drank some great beer, traveled to NYC for work for a week.
- Enjoyed Christmas with my family. Rang in the New Year in Jacksonville.
- Became a Nuunbassador! More to come on this…
Since January 1, 2015, I have been back on a training plan, working towards my first triathlon which will be in March at the Great Clermont Triathlon. This is an olympic distance race in the hills located outside of Orlando and yes, we certainly have hills here in Florida!
I am about 1.5 weeks into this first training block and it has been going pretty well despite some chilly weather we’ve had recently. Jacksonville even saw snow flurries earlier this week, albeit I did not. So here’s what I’ve been up to since the new year rang in:
- 1,000 yard swim (only swim so far this year, womp womp)
- 30 minute trail run with a friend (his first trail run ever!)
- 30 minute trainer ride
- 30 minutes of at home strength training
- 1 hour of trail running. I’m trying to adhere to zone 2 HR for runs which on this day was very difficult to do because it was unseasonably warm and humid. Only covered 5 miles in 60 minutes. Can’t remember the last time that happened but the theory is if you train at a lower heart rate for several weeks, you can ultimately train your body to go faster at lower heart rates. We shall see!
- 1 hour on the trainer.
- 30 minutes of strength training. Tried a new business called Timed Exercise. Without getting into details, I will not be returning.
- Rest day. Team dinner at V Pizza, seriously my favorite pizza place in Jax.
- 45 minute trainer ride
- 3.26 miles at the Wednesday, Mellow Mushroom group run.
- 1 hour RPM cycle class at the Y
- 1 hour yoga class at the Y. Preparing for Saturday’s 10k race.
- Best Damn Race 10k. Race report to follow.
- 26 mile bike ride on Baldwin Trail. Went a little bit further than I should have but felt good. Even got rained on for part of the ride.
Overall, I’m pleased at how training has gone thus far. I’m just getting acclimated again to training and organizing my day. My true Ironman training plan starts on March 1 but with an early season tri, I have to get my butt into gear. I look forward to staying on top of this blog and noting my thoughts and experiences through this process of becoming an Iron(wo)man. I hope you’ll join me by reading whenever I post 🙂
PS Shout out to my brother in law Kevin who completed his first marathon today at Disney! He and my sister caught the running bug when I started to train and document my running so I’m excited to have been somewhat of a catalyst in his big accomplishment! Way to Kev!